Credit: Joseph Romeo

Battleground National Cemetery

BBB’s award-winning restoration of two historic buildings at the Battleground National Cemetery contributes to the preservation of a significant Civil War landmark.

Battleground National Cemetery was established shortly after the Battle of Fort Stevens in 1864 and was dedicated by President Abraham Lincoln. Two structures on the historic site—The Superintendent’s Lodge, constructed from 1870-1873, and the adjacent Rostrum, dedicated in 1921—are both on the National Register of Historic Places. BBB restored these structures and converted the Lodge into administrative office space and meeting rooms. The interior restoration included the integration of modern mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and life safety systems within the existing historic fabric. The exterior restoration included the repair and replacement of the masonry and roofing, and the replacement of inappropriate aluminum windows with new wood sashes. Work on the Rostrum included the restoration of finishes, the redesign of the drainage system, and the restoration of exterior bronze plaques.

 

Client

National Park Service, National Capital Region

Location

Washington, DC

Size

1 acre

Completed

2009

People

FAIA
Partner, Director of the DC Office
Partner-in-Charge
AIA, LEED AP
Senior Associate