Credit: Courtesy of PANY&NJ

Newark Liberty International Airport, Building 1

BBB’s adaptive reuse of Building 1 at Newark Liberty International Airport includes the relocation and restoration of the historic Art Deco terminal and a modern addition.

The original Newark Airport terminal building, constructed in 1935 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a seminal structure in the early history of US aviation. Deemed too small for continued operations by the end of WWII, the building was soon replaced and fell into disuse. In 1999, BBB was engaged to lead an adaptive reuse effort to avoid demolition of the historic structure. One of the largest buildings ever to be moved, the terminal was transported one half mile from its former location in order to make way for a runway expansion project. The original Art Deco lobby, with its ornate terrazzo floor, marble walls, and sculpted plaster ceiling, was restored to serve as the public entry area, and the futuristic glass control tower is now the focal point of a landscaped public courtyard. The building, which was expanded with a new 70,000 SF addition that features metal panel cladding and large glass ribbon windows, currently houses airport administration offices, a technologically sophisticated operations center, police, and the rescue and firefighting departments. The building also houses an exhibition commemorating the development of Newark Airport, the history of Building 1, and the site-specific aviation murals of Arshile Gorky.

 

Client

Port Authority of New York & New Jersey

Location

Newark, NJ

Size

102,000 SF

Completed

2002

People

FAIA, LEED AP
Partner, Director of Historic Preservation
Partner-in-Charge
AIA, LEED AP
Associate Partner
AIA, LEED AP
Associate Partner
PE, Assoc. AIA
Senior Associate
AIA, LEED AP
Senior Associate
LEED AP
Associate, Environmental Graphics